Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Mommy Confessions: I'm Scared of School



So let's just put it out there.  Kaden is almost school age and I am dreading the idea of him going to school. It's not the education I'm scared of, it's the social education one can get while in school.

Why?

For a number of reasons:

1. The biggest reason, kids are mean.  Let's face it, some parents really don't care what their kids do.  Some parents are about as mature as their kids, so their children have not so nice attitudes.  I'm scared of the mean kids, that will hurt my kids feelings.  We respect each other in my house, my children learn respect in their daycare setting, we respect all walks of life.  I don't want them to see that others don't, I'm going to cry every time their feelings are hurt.



2. That mean teacher.  I was always blessed to not be one of the kids that a teacher didn't like and picked on.  I know, I know, teachers aren't supposed to do that but they do.  But some do, I hear it everyday from my friends with school age kids.  I saw it for myself growing up.  Will my kid be one of them?



3. Creativity squashed.  Kaden and Aeri are so open and have beautiful large imaginations.  I don't want that to go away.  I want my children to learn but I also want those imaginations, big dreams, and wild ideas to continue.




4. Influence of others.  Let's face it, kids will be kids.  Kids may be influenced by others to try new things.  Kids are having sex younger, trying their first drink at younger ages, and so much more.  I am working hard to instill good habits and behaviors in my children, but as I see things start happening at younger years, I'm scared that what I do might not be enough.

5. Disappointments/failures and classifications.  I remember what it was like not to be picked for dance squad, not to get on the 'A Team' in basketball.  The classifications start at young ages.  It starts with your last name, your social and financial status, versus your talents in that sport and the coaches willingness to help that child develop.  These things squash kids dreams and self esteem.  I've watched it happen growing up and been on that side at times myself.



So there ya have it, I'm scared of school for my children.  It can be the best years of a child's life, or it can be the worst and unfortunately, I have no control of that.  I'm crazy I know!

Linking up for Mommy Confessions!


Your Website Name

1 comment:

  1. Oh lordy, you've summed up my feelings right here! I am super scared for Benjamin to start school too. I keep hoping that our educational system will change (it's really set up against boys' natural development now!), kids will change, our society will change, and it's not happening. So scary to think of all they are exposed to in school. I think if they have a good solid foundation at home (which it's clear your kids do, even based solely on the fact that you care enough to be worried!), that goes a long distance!

    Thanks for linking up with us!

    ReplyDelete